When darkness falls, and workers leave, young people become more vulnerable in this darker, quieter environment. City After Dark leads 30 students and their parents/teachers on a 3-hour walking of the CBD, teaching them how to identify risks and avoid dangerous situations.
City After Dark tours are led by a WA Police Officer and supported by our Theatrical Response Group Tour Assistants. The program has a strong educational focus and uses participative, experiential learning. Teachers are provided with classroom resources that link excursion outcomes back to the WA curriculum for years 9-10.
- Catching transport into / from the city (train station safety, catching taxis and Ubers)
- Stranger interactions (techniques to avoid potentially risky engagement)
- Avoiding dangerous areas (unlit spaces, shortcuts, alleys etc.)
- ATM access and handling cards and cash in public
- Observation and awareness of surroundings (smartphone and headphone use)
- Staying in travelled areas and walking with others
- Empty carpark safety (getting back to your car)
- Alcohol and its effect on safety and observation skills
- Defusing or avoiding potential confrontation situations
- Remaining inconspicuous – not doing things that will make you a target
- Bars and clubs – the realities of drink spiking and sexual assault risks
- Rules and regulations (obeying drinking and other laws)
- Basic self-defence – things you could do if attacked
- Optional extra: Train safety. Travel into and return from the city by train. Contact us for more information.
These subsidised tours are on a first-come first served basis and restricted to 30 tours in total, with a limit of one tour per school.
Thanks to a grant from the WA Police Community Crime Prevention Fund, tours can be arranged during 2018-2019 on weeknights Monday through Thursday, for a one-off booking fee of $50+GST per tour.
Outside these limits, additional tours can be arranged on a fee for service basis at a cost of $450+GST per tour.
When: Mon – Thurs weeknights, commencing at 5.30pm and finishing at 8.30pm
How: By arrangement. Interested schools should contact us to make a booking
Who: Up to 30 students, parents and teachers per group, with groups led by a WA Police Officer with support from a trained TRG tour assistant
Where: A group meeting point in the city will be advised upon booking
Cost: $50+GST (subsidised) per group, with a limit of one tour per school. Beyond the subsidised cap of 30 tours (first-come), City After Dark tours are offered at a cost of $450+GST.
Wear: Walking shoes, long sleeves/long pants and consider bringing warmer clothes if likely to be cold
Legal stuff: Students must provide a signed permission form (supplied to the school in advance) before the tour commences. All schools and students must agree to take part in a pre/post tour and follow up evaluation process.